Friday, September 9, 2011

Low potassium

The night before last I started feeling, odd. At 2 am I awoke to my heart feeling like it was beating funny & faster than usual. I wasn't doing anything to make it race so I had no idea why. My head felt light & I felt like I couldn't get enough air. Needless to say I didn't go back to sleep. I stayed up all that night & all that next day. Around 4 something that evening I started feeling worse. So bad I woke Mr. Estep up who had work a few hours later. I took a shot & laid down on the couch. Mr. Estep sat on the end of the couch & watched over me. As I started breathing heavier/looking worse he then got out my meter. I checked my sugar & it was to high for the meter to read. My breathing got faster, my heart started racing faster & my teeth began to chatter! Mr. Estep rushed me to the ER. On the way my whole body began to shake uncontrollable. My teeth was chattering but I was burning up. I even had the car window all the way down & it was quite chilly out. Once we got there & I was seen my heart rate was 140 something (to high) my sugar was 400 something (to high) & was even higher before we got there. My meter reads sugars up to 595. So it had to be in the 600-700 area before we got there. My potassium levels was to low. They did tests, blood work & a chest X-ray. They found out from the chest x-ray that I have a bit of bronchitis. They brought my heart rate back down to the 100-107 range. My heart wasn't racing anymore, the shaking stopped & no more chattering teeth. They told me I was hyperventilating. :/ The low potassium levels was causing my heart to beat irregular (reason I had been feeling funny.) & Also the reason I have had intense leg pain/cramps for the longest time now. I never knew low potassium could be so dangerous.

Here are the side effects from having low potassium:




  • Muscle Cramps






  • Muscle Fatigue and Weakness





  • Irregular Heartbeat





  • Fatigue





  • Mental Confusion





  • Irritability





  • Abnormally Dry Skin





  • Insatiable Thirst





  • Chills





  • Depression





  • Nausea and Vomiting





  • Nervousness





  • Insomnia





  • Diarrhea





  • Low Blood Pressure





  • Periodic Headaches





  • Salt Retention





  • Constipation





  • High Cholesterol Levels





  • Glucose Intolerance





  • Impaired Growth





  • Edema





  • Extreme cases, cardiac arrest 






  • Woah, what a list huh? Needless to say my legs are hurting like no other. I have a prescription
     for some potassium pills & also some antibiotics for my bronchitis. I am going to buy some over the counter daily potassium supplements for the future & eat more foods/drinks with potassium in them. Otherwise readers I am back to my normal self (other than the leg pain.) 

    No comments:

    Post a Comment